Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cinnamon and Sugar, Whats Not to Like?

First I would like to point out my record high # of post this month. Second I would like to point out my birthday month is only 3 days away....thats right I said birthday MONTH!

When I got home from work today, I made some fruit salsa and cinnamon and sugar chips for Joe's sister.
This is probably one of my favorite food day treats to make. Everyone loves it! I have adapted this from the Better Homes & Garden cookbook. Below is the fruit I usually use, above I omitted the orange and added blueberries.

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon and Sugar Chips
1 pint of fresh strawberries
1 can of crushed pineapple (drain the juice)
4 fresh kiwis
1-2 oranges

Cut up all the fruit into small cubes and mix! Thats it!!

For the chips, you will need a package of small flour tortillas, melted butter, cinnamon and sugar.

Mix about 1 cup of sugar with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.

Brush the melted butter on a tortilla and sprinkle with the sugar mix, then take kitchen scissors and cut the tortilla, like you would a pie, I cut into 8 pieces. Place on baking sheet, butter/sugar side up (I used parchment) and bake until light golden brown and crispy. About 350 degress for 7-10 minutes. Bake as many chips that you think you'll need. Enjoy!

After making this I ran to the store because I never went this weekend and was OUT of food. Since I have been out of food, I have been eating at work, and its hard to make healthy choices at work! I found some yummy looking white peaches and stocked up on some staple food items. I did try something new tonight, inspired by a new blog I've been reading. I picked up some almond butter. I love PB and I love almonds, so almond butter... probably gonna like it! I had to sneak a taste before dinner and to be honest the verdict is still out. I think tonight I am going to try it with a banana. I will let you know if it becomes a favorite!

No comments: